Please note: We've renamed this role from its original posting (Growth Marketing Manager), any applicants who have or currently are applying for this role under this old title, please continue to submit your application through the previous link & we will ensure to add you to our application review.
Folklore is a team of investors, founders, and builders committed to supporting Australian and New Zealand tech founders. We’re a first cheque to forever investment firm, and we believe in the power of founder vision and the potential of teams, right from the start. Founded in 2013, we’ve proudly invested in companies like Auror (crime-fighting technology), HealthMatch (revolutionising clinical trials with AI), and Swoop Aero (autonomous aeromedical drone logistics), and we are currently raising our third fund. We’re now bringing on a Brand & Communications Manager to build out Folklore’s reach within the startup ecosystem. You’ll get in the weeds, execute on your ideas and make an impact on the ground floor of a new function for Folklore that will shape our communication with the world and deliver on our mission.
Folklore’s Brand & Communications Manager is a cross-functional role. Its purpose is to expand our profile through the creation and delivery of communications programs, content and storytelling, development of our brand, and growth programs in conjunction with the team that collectively engage founders and the broader Folklore community. Your mission is to build our presence, make a positive impact in the startup ecosystem, and to facilitate great outcomes for our founders, operators, investors and broader community.
You will be the lynchpin for our external facing activities, collaborating closely with the Partners, Growth Operations and Platform Experience Managers, and with the opportunity to build out the engagement functions of the firm.
Things you’ll be working on:
- Develop a multi-channel communications strategy to complement and enhance the evolution of our brand;
- Write content that shares new investments, our ethos and ecosystem perspectives, as well as our community activities achievements, events and partnerships. You’ll need exceptional written communication skills, and the ability to develop our team’s writing ability to scale your own role;
- Devise, build and execute PR campaigns (alongside an agency), promotional marketing, and social engagement across our social profiles, newsletters and website;
- Oversee the functional aspects of the role by managing email campaigns, coordinating social media schedules and maintaining our website;
- Develop feedback loops that provide insight into the efficacy of team-led activities, while amplifying our positive impact on the startup ecosystem and society more broadly;
- Create, communicate and co-manage events (online and offline) in conjunction with the team that build a funnel of talent into our companies;
- Coach the wider team to find their unique content angle, helping us come out of our shells to build a team-wide content engine; and
- Be a 'voice’ of Folklore, working with the team to harness our internal vision and mission, and communicating this across various channels with the world.
You might be a good fit if the following describes you:
- Confessed marketing and brand geek: be at-home in creative content development and marketing, utilising your experience to design and deliver scalable content programs and brand building.
- Have empathy: you’re genuinely fascinated by what motivates and engages our community, which informs how you think about building channels of engagement.
- Are a self-starting team player: you can autonomously drive projects from inception, to analysis, and to delivery, but also enjoy collaborating with teams.
- Have strong systems thinking: you’re comfortable with information synthesis and gathering, reviewing and analysing data and insights. You’re also fantastic at creating, optimising, monitoring and implementing processes.
Core competencies we’re on the hunt for:
- World-class storytelling ability, and a creative mind willing to test the bounds of what is appropriate for a VC firm;
- Experience in the design and delivery of effective marketing that enhances a company’s brand and broader community engagement;
- A proven track record of creating communications programs for products, customer experiences and brands in agile environments;
- A demonstrated passion for Australian/NZ startups and the startup ecosystem;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to foster alignment and urgency with the startup ecosystem;
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to quickly distil and communicate key takeaways;
- A mountain of hustle.
- A flexible working arrangement in exchange for a culture that is not ‘9 to 5’ in practice.
- Paid parental leave — 12 weeks for the primary carer and 4 weeks for a secondary carer, subject to a 12-month minimum tenure.
- An additional 1 week parental/personal leave per year
- An annual budget for your learning & self-development
Ready to apply?
Great! Please click on this link to fill out a brief questionnaire that will allow us to get to know you a little better. We will follow up with every applicant, but due to the volume of applications, we’ll only be able to meet with those candidates who most closely match our requirements.