Folklore is a team of investors, founders, and builders committed to supporting Australian and New Zealand tech founders. We’re a first cheque to forever venture capital firm, and believe in the power of founder vision and the potential of teams, right from the start.
Founded in 2013, we’ve proudly invested in companies like Auror (crime-fighting technology), HealthMatch (revolutionising clinical trials with AI), and Swoop Aero (autonomous aeromedical drone logistics), and we are currently raising our third fund. We’re now bringing on a full time Financial Controller to oversee Folklore’s finance operations.
You can find out more about our team, and the work we do.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a core part of the Folklore team. The Financial Controller role is a nexus for the next stage in Folklore’s journey as we scale. We’re focused on the long game, with an ambition to build a multigenerational VC firm made up of a talented and diverse team who’s here for the long haul.
The role is highly collaborative and cross-functional, where you will be responsible for all areas of the firm’s Finance function, working closely with our Partners, investment and Investor relations team, external accountants and external auditors (PWC and EY).
The core goal of the Financial Controller is to ensure that Folklore’s accounting functions run smoothly ensuring our stakeholders receive an excellent experience. These stakeholders include Investors, founders, regulatory agencies and internal stakeholders.
- Management accounting - working with our external accountants to manage all financial requirements to run our business day to day. This includes, but not limited to payroll, month end reconciliations, ATO reporting requirements, preparing financial reports, internal financial reporting, year end accounts and budgeting
- Fund accounting - working with our external accountants and investment team to manage the ESVCLP and trust fund accounts including reconciliations, valuations, preparing financial reports, fund audits and tax returns
- Investor reporting - working closely with the Investor relations team to implement calls and distributions from the funds to the investors, annual investor reporting requirements and prepare regular, timely, accurate and insightful reporting to our investors about our portfolio companies
- Compliance - working closely with the team to ensure that Folklore is at all times compliant with policies and regulations, especially relating to AFSL, ESVCLP, AML/KYC and FATCA
- Continuous improvement - Always looking for ways to improve our processes and better our performance
You will be a good fit if the following describes you:
- Love all things finance and accounting and have aspirations of becoming a CFO of an Australian Venture Capital firm
- Highly organised, detail-oriented, and proactive
- Team-oriented personality, highly motivated and self-directed with an ability to multitask
- Ability to drive into the weeds and zoom out to think strategically on a day to day basis
- You are a strong communicator
- You’re comfortable working in a fast paced environment with changing priorities
- You are a systems thinker who relishes change and implementing frameworks and systems
- You have strong accounting and analytical skills (CPA or CA or equivalent qualifications);
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Xero
- A practical, outcomes-driven approach to work
- Preferable experience within a fund’s management environment (Private Equity or Venture Capital)
- Passion for technology and driving our society forward
Location and resourcing
- The role is based in Sydney
- The firm anticipates hiring additional talent into our financial operations functions
- A flexible working arrangement in exchange for a culture that is not ‘9 to 5’ in practice.
- Paid parental leave — 12 weeks for the primary carer and 4 weeks for a secondary carer, subject to a 12-month minimum tenure.
- An additional 1 week parental/personal leave per year
- An annual budget for your learning & self-development
Ready to apply?
Great! Please click on this link to fill out a brief questionnaire that will allow us to get to know you a little better. We will follow up with every applicant, but due to the volume of applications, we’ll only be able to meet with those candidates who most closely match our requirements.