Folklore is a team of investors, founders, and builders committed to supporting Australian and New Zealand tech founders. We’re a first cheque to forever venture capital firm and believe in the power of founder vision and the potential of teams, right from the start. Founded in 2013, we have proudly invested in companies like Auror (crime-fighting technology), HealthMatch (revolutionising clinical trials with AI), and Swoop Aero (autonomous aeromedical drone logistics), and we have recently raised our third fund. We are a diverse team of investors, founders and operators, and we are bringing on a Marketing and Community Associate to join our fast-growing team and help us grow into a long range ambition machine for the great success stories of our time.
Learn more about Folklore, our investment thesis and our recent insights including our investment notes on what we love about the companies we’ve invested in.
About the role
This opportunity is for the community, experience and product marketing obsessed.
You live and breathe curiosity around how to attract, acquire and excite people into programs and products that make a difference to their lives, and you have the tools and skills to make this happen. You are community minded and believe in the power of ecosystem and positive flywheels. You are seeking to understand our community - the founders, operators, investors - and how to support them and our startup ecosystem more broadly. You will continuously identify and refine the ways that learn about and engage with each of these segments.
You will be an ambassador of our firm - nurturing and driving the growth of our community by designing and executing on our programs with impact, scalability and velocity as guiding principles. You will work closely with our Growth Ops Manager, Brand and Comms Manager and the rest of our investment and operating team to design and execute on a multi-channel growth strategy, and spearhead the execution of Folklore’s scalable internal and external engagement programs. You will make sure we’re delivering a world-class experience, consistently nurturing and expanding our community, and synthesize our understanding of the market across our team.
You will make your impact on the ANZ startup ecosystem by doing work that empowers our founders, their teams and our broader community while magnifying our brand and presence and delivering on our mission of being a long term ambition machine for the great success stories of our time.
What you’ll be working on
- Support the Growth Ops Manager and Brand and Comms Manager with the execution of programs (both internal and external) through a product and marketing lens, such as:
- Design and execute on our community member experience - from onboarding, to engagement, to alumni
- Define channel prioritisation and support on brand development and messaging of new programs
- Oversee the digital delivery of out outbound activities
- Distill key insights into new programs and content respectively
- Support the Investor Relations team on the coordination and delivery of a program of events
- Define and optimise products through tracking and improving user experience, such as:
- Assist with the development of building scalable engagement, learning and development programs and resources for our founders - based on real insights
- Onboard community members acquired via growth programs - guiding, measuring and enhancing their experience
- Continuously seek to understand insights and feedback through monitoring and improving our data infrastructure
- Continuously optimise and automating our programs through low/no code tools
- Embody the ‘voice’ of Folklore: be an ambassador for our brand through partnering with our Brand and Comms Manager to oversee our public channels (including web content, social and email) to amplify our vision and mission to the world
On day one, we’d love you to
- Be obsessed about understanding: the insights, feedback and the “why”, translating this into execution and constantly measuring and improving results
- Have empathy: you’re fascinated by what motivates and engages people, and as such, bring thoughtfulness and authenticity to your interactions with our stakeholders
- Be self-starting: you see the ‘white-space’ and aim to fill it; you can juggle multiple different projects, and drive them from inception to delivery
- Be an exceptional communicator: you’re as comfortable in 1:1 founder discussions as you are holding your own at public events; and as your role is so cross-functional, you comfortably collaborate on projects which may require participation from multiple people on our team
- Embrace our culture, our ethos and our vision for the firm
- 3-5 years of experience in growth, digital or product marketing, and a huge bonus for those with community operations experience
- A demonstrated passion for Australian/NZ start-ups and the start-up ecosystem
- A proven track record and toolkit for creating programs, products, or exceptional culture and experiences in fast-moving and agile environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills - ability to foster alignment and engagement across diverse stakeholders (both internal and external)
- Excellent communication skills - confidence leveraging your writing or speaking skills to communicate narrative, mission and vision; you can confidently bring people on the journey
- A mountain of hustle
- An insanely curious mindset
What you can expect from us
Each Folklore employee is considered an integral member of the team, taking on a range of internal and external aspects of the firm’s activities in order to facilitate optimal investment performance.
- A flexible working arrangement in exchange for a culture that is not ‘9 to 5’ in practice
- The ability to work a pro-rata number of days per week (ie. 4.5 days)
- Paid parental leave — 12 weeks for the primary carer and 4 weeks for a secondary carer, subject to a 12-month minimum tenure
- An additional 1-week parental/personal leave per year
- An annual budget for your learning & self-development
Our culture revolves around values that guide our decision-making and define who we are as a firm.
- We believe in long-range ambition
- We believe diversity makes us whole
- We believe in founder vision
- We value the catalytic power of teams
- We believe greatness is born from uncertainty
- We are eyes wide open, not fingers crossed.
Ready to apply?
Awesome. Please click on this link and get started with the BeApplied process. We will endeavour to get back to everyone, but please note this may take between 2-4 weeks.