Folklore is a team of investors, founders, and builders committed to supporting Australian and New Zealand tech founders. We’re a first cheque to forever investment firm, and we believe in the power of founder vision and the potential of teams, right from the start. Founded in 2013, we’ve proudly invested in companies like Auror (crime-fighting technology), HealthMatch (revolutionising clinical trials with AI), and Swoop Aero (autonomous aeromedical drone logistics), and we're currently closing our third fund. You’ll get in the weeds, execute on your ideas and make an impact with the investment team and Partners, and shape our portfolio.
About the role
The Investment Associate role is an exciting opportunity to be part of Folklore's journey as we grow. As a member of the investment team, you’ll see more than 800 companies a year and be an active participant in the investment process, working on pipeline management, investment analysis, research, investment recommendations, and supporting our companies.
This is not a job for someone who wants to “do lots of deals”. This is a position for someone who actively wants to become an investor — which means you will support our founders, participate in community activities, engage at a board level, and want to be on a long-range journey with the amazing companies we back.
- Facilitate communication with new startups and engage with founders to evaluate investment eligibility according to our investment criteria;
- Participate in community events and nurture relationships with stakeholders in the startup and venture ecosystem; contribute to Folklore external comms (e.g. website, social media, PR).
- Shortlist and prepare briefing materials on new investments, and collaborate with partners in analysing new opportunities and building investment theses;
- Shepherd the internal investment process (e.g. document tracking, administration and governance);
- Assist with investment execution, including with due diligence (e.g. market analysis, product testing, financial analysis/modelling, managing due diligence advisors) and finalising investment documentation;
- Contribute to investment decisions through continual improvement of internal processes that guide and enhance our decision-making;
- Oversee pipeline management, weekly investment meetings and portfolio reporting.
- Act as a point of contact for portfolio companies and monitor portfolio company performance;
- Identify and report portfolio company issues to the Investment Manager;
- Provide ongoing mentoring to founders and startups.
- Assist Partners with periodic compliance, fund administration and reporting processes, as well as compiling periodic investor updates and reporting.
Great! Here’s what we’re after:
- You can demonstrate a passion for early stage companies, technology, investment and the Australia venture ecosystem;
- You’ve got a background in one (preferably more) of investment, consulting, startup operations or as a company founder;
- Curiosity is in your nature. You aren’t shy about asking probing questions and can systematically solve complex problems;
- You have strong financial modelling and financial literacy skills, and get a kick out of identifying insight through analysis;
- You’re a self-starter, comfortable working autonomously, and relish a fast-paced environment.
What you can expect from us
Each Folklore employee is considered an integral member of the team, taking on a range of internal and external aspects of the firm’s activities in order to facilitate optimal investment performance.
- Flexible working arrangements in exchange for a culture that is not ‘9 to 5’ in practice;
- Paid parental leave — 12 weeks for the primary carer and 4 weeks for a secondary carer, subject to a 12-month minimum tenure;
- An additional 1 week parental/personal leave per year;
- An annual budget for your learning & self-development.
Our culture revolves around values that guide our decision-making and define who we are as a firm. We believe:
1. In the enduring legacy of great founders and great missions;
2. Success as a collective, not as individuals;
3. In the long run, right beats hype;
4. Change never stops, and neither do we.
Ready to apply?
Awesome. Please click on this link and get started with the BeApplied process. We will endeavour to get back to everyone, but please note this may take between 2-4 weeks.