Folklore is a team of investors and builders committed to supporting Australian and New Zealand tech founders. Founded in 2013 and based in Sydney, we invest from first cheque to forever and believe in the power of founder vision and the potential of teams – right from the start. We’ve proudly raised 3 funds from HNW, Family Office and Institutional LPs, and have invested in game-changing companies like Auror (crime-fighting technology), HealthMatch (revolutionising clinical trials with AI), Swoop Aero (autonomous aeromedical drone logistics) and Lived (providing dedicated addiction support), to name a few.
We are a driven but down-to-earth team with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we’re looking for people who share our passion for technology and startups to join us!
About the role
If the opportunity to find the next great startup, apply your learning and deep curiosity, and play a pivotal role across the investment activities of the firm excites you, we are glad you landed on this role. You will become an integral part of our investment team, managing the investment process and overseeing aspects of our investment operations. You will represent Folklore within the Australian and New Zealand startup ecosystem and act as an evangelist for our firm and its reputation.
As an Investment Manager, you’ll maintain ongoing engagement and mentoring with our portfolio companies to support and elevate their success, assist with company operations and where appropriate, participate at the board level with investee companies.
Role responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Proactively nurture and grow network and trusted relationships with prospective founders, peers, operators and the broader ecosystem.
- Ongoing participation in panels, interviews, mentor programs and other formal programs in conjunction with attending ecosystem events.
- Create and contribute to external communications to elevate personal and company brand in the ecosystem and add value to the community.
- Lead first meetings with founders to evaluate investment opportunities according to Folklore’s due diligence criteria.
- Coach Investment Analysts through detailed due diligence analysis and coach Investment Associates through other due diligence activities.
- Review due diligence output and investment thesis for the Investment Committee.
- Confidently and professionally present opportunities to the Investment Committee.
- Facilitation of negotiation discussions with Partners and the Investment Committee.
Portfolio Management and Reporting
- Manage relationships with portfolio founders.
- Provide direct portfolio support services through network and facilitate introduction to Folklore’s operations team.
- Efficiently maintain internal records of portfolio performance, investment returns performance and monitor runway.
- Attend Board meetings and report back to the Folklore team.
- Actively engage with existing Limited Partners.
- Support Partners in preparation of data room materials, due diligence data requests and responses to prospective LP Q&As.
- Undertake detailed research into core thematics and interest areas, educating the whole Folklore team on insights.
- Performance manage Investment Analysts and Investment Associates.
- Coordinate allocation of work for Investment Analysts and Investment Associates.
- Assist Finance with periodic fund administration, reporting, compliance and specific Limited Partner reporting.
- Contribute to the improvement of the firm’s programs, processes and approach.
- You’re genuinely interested in technology and have an overwhelming dose of intellectual curiosity.
- You’re not shy about asking questions and can systematically and creatively solve complex problems.
- You have a strong track record of building positive internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- You may be responsible for the numbers, but you don’t just stop there – you’re always searching for deeper insights.
- You’re a self-starter, comfortable working autonomously, have a flexible mindset, and relish a fast-paced environment.
- You can challenge and be challenged productively and professionally and seek development and growth in this space.
- You’ve got a background in one (preferably more) of investment, consulting, startup operations or as a company founder.
- You have strong financial modelling and financial literacy skills and get a kick out of identifying insight through analysis.
- You have a mountain of hustle.